• An illustrator in or looking to get into the world of magazines;
• Passionate about themes such as ecology, social movements and political change;
• Keen to see your work in print and online across Europe.
The Green European Journal is looking for an illustrator to provide artwork for its two print issues in 2023. Submissions from illustrators at all stages of their careers welcome.
WHO WE ARE
The Green European Journal is an online and print magazine of political ecology analysis, debate and ideas. Since its foundation in 2012, it has sought to go beyond daily news to read politics and society in Europe with a fresh lens.
Published twice a year, print issues explore themes such as the future of democracy and representation to geopolitics in a warming world from a variety of perspectives. Articles that appear in print are also published online.
The Green European Journal is published by the Green European Foundation, a European political foundation funded by the European Parliament that works to develop the European public sphere and get citizens involved in politics.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The Green European Journal will publish two print issues in 2023 (summer and winter editions). We are looking for an illustrator to produce sets of 8-10 illustrations for each issue.
The journal strives to publish articles that challenge and inspire people to think politically. We do not focus on the “who’s up, who’s down” questions of day-to-day politics but analyse political and social change over the medium term, new ideas and visions, and perspectives on the frontiers facing political ecology as a movement. Illustrations that encourage reflection and imagination go hand in hand with this approach.
Our illustrators are briefed on the ideas, concepts and arguments set out in issues and draft sketches on that basis. Illustrations should be thoughtprovoking and original. Illustrators can expect to work on themes such as:
• Ecology and the green transition;
• Economic and technological change;
• Social justice and movements;
• Democracy and political ideas;
• Geopolitics and international relations.
Illustrations will be used on the cover and throughout print issues, as well as for website and social media graphics.
Illustrators can expect to work on full-page illustrations for an A5 format print journal. Some illustrations might be more dynamic and interact with text and/or graphics based on the content.
STYLE AND APPROACH
Illustrations have been a core part of the Green European Journal’s visual identity since 2016. For several years, there was one main illustrator for all issues. In recent years, new illustrators have come on board and crafted artwork building on that style.
The Green European Journal is looking to move forward with this established visual identity and style in this future collaboration. We welcome creative and artistic development but we are not looking for a radical departure either. At least in this case, we’re looking for evolution, not revolution.
Here are some examples of cover illustrations in print issues by Klaas Verplancke.
WHAT WE OFFER
• The budget is 2000 euros for each issue’s set of illustrations;
• Conceptual briefings from the editors;
• Close cooperation with and guidance from our designer Claire Allard and creative director Klaas Verplancke;
• The chance for your work to appear in a progressive magazine read across Europe.
5 March 2023 (23.59 CET)
Deadline to submit applications
13-17 March 2023
Selected illustrator confirmed
End March through 21 April 2023
Sketches, feedback and final illustrations for first issue
End May 2023
Publication of the first issue
September through October 2023
Sketches, feedback and final illustrations for second issue
HOW TO APPLY
Interested illustrators should include the following elements in their application:
• Examples of previous work or portfolio;
• A short presentation of experience, outlook, and ethos;
• Confirmation of availability based on the timeline above.
Applications should be made via this form by 5 March 2023 (23.59 CET).
Questions can be sent to email@example.com.
Selection will be made based on the portfolio.